Arts for Health has funding from The Rothschild Foundation to run HEADSTART, an Arts on Prescription programme for young people aged 13 – 17 years. The funding will enable us to run the programme over the next two years.
HEADSTART will offer access to high quality arts activities in a low stress, supportive environment. Through focusing on hands-on art activities the project will provide young people with relaxation and distraction and give participants personal space away from day to day life.
HEADSTART will help young people to :-
- increase confidence
- learn new skills
- distraction from pain and problems
- have something enjoyable to do
- make friends
The HEADSTART Programmes
- Each programme is made up of 10 weekly 2 hour art workshops.
- Workshops are small groups of up to 8 young people and led by professional artists.
- Workshops are FREE and all materials are provided.
- Sessions are friendly and welcoming and no previous arts experience is necessary.
- Activities include drawing and painting, print-making and sculpture.
- Workshops take place at the Arts for Health Workshop, upstairs at Kingston Library, 54 Winchester Circle, Kingston, MK10 0BA.
- Workshop times will be different for each programme and will either be a weekday 5pm-7pm or Saturday 10am – 12noon.
- In the workshops we don’t ask participants to talk about why they are attending but they will be required to complete evaluation forms aimed at measuring the health benefits of participating.
- HEADSTART is an art programme run by artists who are experienced at working with people who have complex needs but they are not trained therapists. It is suitable for young people with mild to moderate health conditions.
For more information or to refer a young person, please contact email@example.com or 01908 996124.